image of logo


Childcare setting:
Childcare providers on the on the Early Years and/or Childcare register

When there is an accident leading to serious injury or fatality resulting from the operation of the childcare setting

Legally required to notify:

  1. Enforcing authority for accidents at work – Health and Safety Executive or Local Authority
    (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 – RIDDOR)
  2. Ofsted
  3. Child Protection Agency

Keep records of all accidents in an accident book or similar recording system

Report to the HSE or Local Authority under RIDDOR:

Report to Ofsted:

Report to Local Child Protection agency:

Ofsted defines serious injuries as:

Ofsted – not required to inform of minor injuries:

Serious accidents, injuries and deaths that registered providers must notify to Ofsted and local child protection agencies February 2011, No. 110009
Link to Ofsted factsheet